In the USA there are many students who belong to minority classes. Students who are of Italian American descent fall under minority category and they are eligible for financial aid for their academics and studies. This academic aid comes in the form of Scholarships that have to be applied for. There are Italian American Scholarships that are available to Italian American students. These scholarships provide financial assistance to academically strong candidates. They are available for both the school and the college level. The scholarships alleviate most of the financial burdens of the students who are of Italian American descent. The following are the names of some of the major scholarships that are available to applicants:
- The National Italian American Foundation – This body provides scholarships to undergraduate Italian American students and to college students who are majoring in Italian Studies or any related field. These scholarship awards are in the range of $2,000 to $12,000. The applicants for the scholarship must have a minimum GPA score of 3.5. This program is a highly competitive program and there are a small number of need based awards that are granted. The applications are easy to make as they can be submitted online.
- Order Sons Of Italy In America – The Order Sons Of Italy provides many scholarships to both undergraduate and graduate students who are Italian American. The awards under this scholarship are in the range of $5000-$25,000. There is a condition for previous winners and that is they cannot reapply for the scholarship once it is awarded to them. Applicants can apply for these scholarships for general studies, studying abroad and for specialized programs.
- The Columbus Citizens Foundation – The Columbus Citizens Foundation offers scholarships for students who are Italian American and whose household income is not more than $25,000. Only high school students can apply for this scholarship who are planning to enroll at any accredited university or college. These students need to be state residents of New York, New Jersey, Delaware, District Of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The scholarship amount varies as per the eligibility of the applicant.
- The Justinian Foundation Scholarships – The Justinian Foundation provides scholarships with an award of $1,500 to Italian American 3rd year law students residing in the Philadelphia region. In order to be eligible for the scholarship the applicants need to be members of the Justinian Society Law School Chapter in their local area and also demonstrate a financial need for the scholarship.
- The Italian Catholic Federation Scholarships – The Italian Catholic Federation Scholarships are provided to students who are Italian American in the states of California, Nevada, Arizona and Illinois. In order to be eligible for the scholarships the students must belong to Italian heritage and be of Catholic faith. The Applicants also need to demonstrate a financial need. The Awards under this category range from $400 to $1,000. The first year winners of this scholarship are also encouraged to reapply for the awards in subsequent years.